I think we can all agree that Yves Saint Laurent is still one of the most influential designers in fashion history. He gave us a solid definition of what style is - "Fashion fades, style is eternal". You see those words come to life when looking at his designs. It takes class and talent to design a piece of clothing that will become a timeless wardrobe staple for many years to come.
The online retailer Farfetch is celebrating the opening of the Yves Saint Laurent: Style is Eternal exhibit that's on display until October 25th at The Bowes Museum. They contacted me and several other fashion bloggers to see if we'd like to enter their competition. The goal is to create an ensemble using only YSL items centering around the iconic Le Smoking Tuxedo jacket, so obviously I said yes!
"I have often said that I wish I had invented blue jeans; the most spectacular, the most relaxed and nonchalant. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity - all I hope for in my clothes" - Yves Saint Laurent
1. Classic Skinny Jeans - You heard the man, jeans are sexy, modest, and simple. Pairing the smoking jacket with a pair of simple skinny jeans creates a whole spectrum of seasons and occasions you can wear your skinnies to. They balance each other out - the jacket dresses up the jeans, and the jeans relax the jacket.
2. Sequin Net Top - A little risqué, but pairing it with a lacy bralet or just a simple black tank top will have you set of the day or night. It will be covered by the jacket, so you won't be showing too much skin but it adds some serious sex appeal.
3. Small "Sac De Jour" Tote - I've been in love with this bag for a long time now. The rose pink color stands out against the muted outfit, yet still remains structured and classy.
4. Knee High Cat Boots - My favorite trend for the coming season. While I love booties and mid-calf boots, knee high or over-the-knee boots are simple but sexy.
5. "Punk" Bracelet - Keeping accessories minimal, this edgy cuff is a perfect touch for this classic ensemble.
6. Crucifix Pendant Necklace - Again, accessories are minimal. This necklace just adds a little extra something without going overboard since you already have a lot going on up top.
7. "Classic 51" Sunglasses - Since this outfit is good for day or night, we have to make sure our eyes are protected during the day!
8. Eyeliner Baby Doll - And for your finishing touch, give yourself a dramatic cat eye that looks classy whether you're fetching coffee and running errands, or getting ready for a night on the town!
I had a lot of fun picking out this outfit, although it did make me sad that I don't have that bag or those boots. Oh well, a girl can dream.
How would you style the smoking jacket?