1. Find something you enjoy doing, even if you're not good at it. I really enjoy drawing, even though I'm not very good at it. It still calms me down and gives me something to focus on for a while that doesn't involve whatever is troubling me. You don't have to showcase your drawings if you don't want to, just do it if it makes you happy. Play around with colors and draw some happy images. Or even if they aren't happy, whatever comes to mind. Maybe you need to let out some anger by drawing some hardcore skulls or something. Whatever you need to do, do it.
2. Listen to music. I feel like this is a given in any post on how to be happy, but I figured I'd include it anyway. Fleetwood Mac always seems to make me feel better. Find an artist(s) that you can listen to forever and not get tired of, and start listening!
3. Singing the music will put you in an even better mood. Make sure you have a playlist on iTunes or Spotify or whatever you use just for happy music. Search for more happy songs and add them to the happy playlist as you listen to it.
4. Take a shower, put on some music, sing your heart out, and get some aromatherapy going. Hot showers are relaxing, and music just adds to the bliss of it. I was browsing the Fortune Cookie Soap website last night and noticed they had a product I'd never heard called "Steam Me Up Scotty!". They come in a set of 3, and you put one cube on the floor of the shower and let the steam take care of the rest. If you aren't in the mood to belt out some songs, take a hot bath and light some candles.
5. Read a book. It can take you to a place that's far from what's troubling you. Just be careful not to pick a sad book!
6. Stop checking Facebook so often! Seriously, delete the app on your phone if you have to. You're dealing with troubles in your life, and people on Facebook tend to only post the highlights of their life. This makes you feel insecure because they make life seem so lovely while you are suffering. Especially stay away if you're insecure about your appearance. People sometimes spend so much time trying different angles and editing to get the perfect picture. You're just as beautiful as they are!
7. Be nicer to people. Even if they are treating you like crap, maybe they are having a bad day, too. Don't immediately reciprocate by being rude back. If people see how nice you are to them, they will be nice to you too. Unless they're just a bitch, then they probably won't be nice back. But you still have an opportunity to make yourself feel better by not stooping to their level!
8. Talk to people who are troubling you in your life. Maybe you disagree with the way your significant other is treating you lately, or how your best friend is ignoring you, or some other relationship problem in your life. It might be hard, but you won't regret it in the long run. If they are a toxic person in your life, you'll find out quickly if they don't listen to you. If they want you to be happy, they'll listen to your concerns and talk to you about possible solutions.
You don't have to be happy all the time, but it's important to be happy overall with your life. Taking a few minutes out of the day for yourself and forget about your problems is a great thing to do. Retail therapy is always an option ;) Just be careful with that, too. Don't wanna run up a credit card bill!
What do you to to keep yourself happy and sane, despite the crazy things in life? What are your favorite songs to listen to when you need cheering up?